Staunch Book Prize is open to thrillers in which no woman is beaten, stalked, sexually exploited, raped or murdered.
Entries for the Staunch Book Prize open on 21st February 2019 and close at midnight (BST) on 14h July 2019.
The prize is £1000 and an engraved glass award.
- The prize is for any genre of thriller novel in which no woman is beaten, stalked, sexually exploited, raped or murdered.
- Thriller genres may include crime, mystery, historical, sci-fi, cyber, comedy, psychological, spy, suspense, political, satirical and disaster. We are not at this time looking for horror or fantasy novels.
- For the purposes of this Prize, 'murder' does not include incidents where people in general or specific groups of people (but not a specific woman or women) are the targets or victims, e.g. war, terrorist attacks, hostage situations, sabotage.
- The competition is open to authors of any nationality who are over the age of 18 on the closing date.
- Submissions may be traditionally or provably FIRST self-published (print or e-book) within 18 months of the closing date, or not yet published. They must be in English. Translations are welcome.
- Entries may be submitted by authors, agents or publishers, but must be in the required format via the Submissions form
- If you entered an unpublished novel last year, you are welcome to enter again if the novel is now published/self-published, or if you have been rewriting or polishing and it is still unpublished.
- The first 5000 words of each entry, double spaced, 12pt, plus a one page synopsis, single spaced 12pt, should be submitted AS ONE DOCUMENT as pdf, .doc or .docx files
- The title of the novel should be at the top of the document, but no identifying name/s of author or submitter should appear on the document. Entries will be read blind.
- If you are ordering our feedback service, please put (FEEDBACK) after the title of your novel in the submission.
- Completed novels will be requested by the end of August and must be at least 50,000 words. As we may request the additional material at any time, novels should ideally be completed before entering
- Complete novels called for must be submitted as pdf documents (or as published books by arrangement). This time we will require the name of the author and whether the novel is published/self-published or not yet published.
- By submitting work for the Prize you are agreeing that ALL criteria have been met and you have accepted the terms and conditions.
- You are also agreeing that we may contact you and add your name to our database to keep you informed about the Prize. Your details will never be shared or sold to third parties.
- Any entry failing to meet the criteria will be disqualified.
There is an entry fee of £23 for each entry. Multiple submissions are welcome.
We are offering up to 10 free entries to low income writers of any age. Please see the website Guidelines page and contact us before you enter.
Please note dates may appear in the format MM/DD/YYYY
This service is available for unpublished submissions entered in 2018 or 2019.
Submission should be a 1 page synopsis single spaced and the first 5000 words of your novel in 12pt double spaced as pdf .doc or .docx file.
If you entered Staunch Book Prize in 2018, we will have your entry archived. However, you may submit a reworked synopsis and 5000 word opening if you prefer. Simply attach the new file.
One of our experienced industry readers will produce a 3-5 page report which will be sent to you by email within a month of your order.
The report will cover:
Strength/originality of idea
This feedback will be dealt with entirely separately from your entry to the prize and does not affect its eligibility or prospects in any way.
NB. If you are also entering the Staunch Book Prize, please write (FEEDBACK) after the title of your entry on the Book Prize submission so that it is directed to the correct reader. This enables our blind reading of your entry to be handled separately.
The cost is £65.
See Guidelines for how to order when or after you have entered Staunch Book Prize.
Please read our T&Cs